CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Glimpse Of My Dad


Before I get into the details here, I want to direct your attention to the lovely wallpaper in the photo! Is it not a DEAD RINGER for the Cosmo Cricket Circa 1934 papers I used! Hahahah!! I didn't notice until I had the layout done but I laughed out loud when I realized it!

This layout was another session of therapy under my belt. Who needs to pay a shrink!! Scrapping is way better therapy! This layout is of my Dad. He's been gone 6 years in March. We had a tough relationship all my life and I used this layout to do some "hidden" journaling and really spilled my heart out. I thought it would be important to pass on my feelings to future generations who may wonder why there are very few pictures of my dad in my scrapbooks. I kept most of the journaling hidden as it gets into how I felt...not nearly as important as my sister and brother, how I felt about his midlife crisis that all but destroyed our family...sigh...and how much I loved him. I cried, I wiped my tears, had a long conversation with him (thankfully I was home alone while working on this layout!) and in the end I really like how the page came out. I bought this paper collection specially with photos of my dad in mind. I really don't have many photos but this one has been bouncing around my desk for a while now. Also notice the CORD on the telephone! How funny is that! Boy how times change!

I used the sketch at Once Upon A Sketch challenge blog. The rules are that you must journal at least 25 words in your own handwriting. Because I used some pretty personal journaling I really didn't want it out there for the world to read so I made my journaling mostly hidden. If you pull the tab that says 'READ' you can get the whole story...I journaled front and back and way surpassed the 25 words. I also used a couple brads (the red corduroy Bazzil brad and the small heart brad) which makes it qualify for the Frosted Designs Friday Challenge to use brads. Most of the embellishments are Cosmo Cricket Circa 1934 with a few doo dads from the Crate Paper Portrait sticker sheet thrown in. They really worked well together! I cut some of the design elements from the paper, inked them and popped some up on pop dots. I added some black bling from Recollections and black dew drops to accent some of the design elements. The letters are from Crate Paper Portrait and Jillibean Soup. I LOVE those corrugated letters! In fact, I just restocked my supply!! I inked the outside edges of the page and called it done/therapy session over!

16 comments:

Melissa

I love your style. Thank you for sharing this wonderful layout.

Melissa
www.disneydreamerdesigns.blogspot.com

Lou

WOW Totally Gorgeous LO and a truly heartfelt journal entry..... and so incredibly brave of you to share your story...Love all of this LO! Your take on the sketch is awesome!!
Big HUG to you for sharing such a personal journey thru scrapping.... yes agree that it is excellent therapy!!
Lou xx

Tammy E.

Cheaper than therapy for sure. Your layout is awesome.

Heather Jacob

wonderful absolutely wonderful !!!! .....you have great courage to face the truth and I absolutely commend you as it is such a great healing tool to face issues and evolve the soul ... well done ..and your page is a WOWZER!!! I really love it, all of it .. great colours and a great take on the sketch ... .... thanks for playing along .. hugz x

Angela

Sensational LO! love the colours and elements you have used! great to journal your feelings (even the not so good stuff) well done! Thanks for joining in at Frosted Designs this week xx

Lydia

Wow...this is a great layout! Love it! So glad you joined in at Frosted Designs this week!
Lydia

Nadia Cannizzo

Susan ..I LOVE THIS! WOW...I love how you have scrapped this awesome pic of your dad (wallpaper and all LOL!) It is absolutely fine that your journalling is hidden and THANK you for pointing that out because it was the first thing I looked for..lol. LOve Circa 1934 ..love how you have used it. Simply stunning..well WELL done! Thanks so much for playing along at Once Upon A..Sketch! Love your blog too :o)

Unknown

What a great layout!! I once found a striped paper that matched the wallpaper in our bathroom...also circa 1970s!!!

Irma

this patterned paper line is perfect for your vintage photo! everything is so well thought out...WOW!!!

Anonymous

I love this layout and that particular line of paper. Thanks for sharing your layout with us at Frosted Designs!
Melissa

Irini

Stunning layout I love everything about it...just fabulous....

Pam Pritzl

absolutely gorgeous! you've knocked this one out of the park!

Rossella

Beautiful! The title...the selection of papers! Good job! Thanks for play with us!

Unknown

I am glad you found us at Frosted Designs for our Brad Challenge!! As I said earlier, great layout!

Nathalie

This is an amazing page on so many levels!!! You should totally submit it for publication!!!!

Kris

sniff sniff........I dont see http://letsscrap.ning.com/ do you not 'like' us?? ha!

Post a Comment