CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Roses Always Make Me Feel Better!

I'm still fighting this dang cold or whatever it is (and my honey came home from work yesterday not feeling well either) and as has been the case the past 3 nights, I could not sleep. I finally gave in at 3am and got out of bed so that John could at least have some peaceful rest. Not wanting to watch TV (nothing on at 3am anyway) and not really feeling up to working on a layout, I decided that I would relax on the couch and make some paper roses.

I checked over at The Color Room to see what the color palette was this week and worked with those colors in mind.  I may as well try to get at least one challenge in and I haven't done the last 3 palettes over there. By 6:30am when John left for work, I had already completed a dozen roses in two sizes. My hands were cramping and my fingers are sore from rolling the petals so I dropped the roses on my desk and got the kids up and ready for school. Once back home I brewed a fresh pot of coffee and sat at my scrap desk admiring the pretty roses. I decided to add some shimmer to them with Diamond Stickles. Here are a couple close ups of some of the roses that I made:



As I was sitting here wondering what pictures I had that would go well with pastel roses, I remembered this photo I took of Susie just the other morning. It was perfect....her shirt matched the orange roses almost exactly!! So I was off and running. I have a favorite sketch over at Let's Scrap and pulled it down from my bulletin board and used it as a jumping off point. Generally with this sketch, I use it for the base and then once my creativity starts flowing, it rarely resembles the sketch. But I figure that sketches are meant to INSPIRE us, not take all our creativity away by insisting that we exactly duplicate the sketch, right? Here is the end result...I really love this page and more than for just the roses and the pretty pictures. I took some time to really reflect on my feelings about my daughter and put it on the page. I'm not one for a lot of jornaling usually so this felt good and now she will know exactly how her mom was feeling when this picture was taken.

The striped paper is from Little Yellow Bicycle Free Spirit collection.  Not sure who made the orange paper that I used for the bottom border as it was in my stash and has no markings on it.  The pearl bling is by ZVA, I used Harvest Orange and Vintage Pink Glimmer Mist on the white cardstock to soften it up and sprayed the doilies with Sugar Cookie Glimmer Mist.  Its hard to tell from the photo but the whole layout has a pretty sheen to it. Add a piece of soft green cardstock to tie up the Color Palette requirements, Thickers letters and few Dew Drops on the doilies and it was complete!!  It really came together fast once I had the picture chosen!

That's all I have for now. I am about to start on a Baby Boy first year album, now that I have all the supplies finally!! JoAnn.com took FOREVER to ship! I don't know if I will post all those pages or not.....maybe I will do it in batches. Its for a shower gift and I'm really not going to go super crazy fancy with it.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Betty Anne

Wow you do fantastic layouts even when you're sick. Your daughter is beautiful, the boys will be knocking at your door before long.
I love the flowers Susan, did you use Tim Holtz Rose tutorial for these. I've made one of his grundge Roses but never tried them with paper.

Carolina

Wow! Love your roses and the whole layout is just beautiful. You are having a very productive cold!

Nathalie

I can't believe you made those at 3AM!!!!!!! They are beautiful and I loved reading about your creative process to get to this wonderful end result that is your page! :D

Post a Comment