CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, June 25, 2010

No More Monkeys



Before I go on about this layout, I want to remind anyone who reads this to back up their photos on the computer NOW! I had a major scare this afternoon!! I have two USB ports on the side of my laptop. I use them both regularly, especially when I am using my Cricut and SCAL software. I use one for the Cricut, the other to download pics off my camera. Well this morning I plugged my camera into the first slot and nothing happened. I didn't think much of it and moved it to the other port. Later I noticed that part of the USB port had sunken into the computer. No biggie...I will show John when he gets home and he will either fix it or I am down one USB. Late in the afternoon as I was preparing to upload my Rock Star layout I accidentally plugged into the bad USB. My computer made a sizzle sound....NOT A GOOD SOUND...turned off and would not power back on. My heart sank. I've only had this laptop since Christmas and there was no way I was expecting anything to go wrong. I mean I had my old Gateway laptop for 6 years before it died! Anywhooo, I texted John and told him my laptop died. He knew right away he was coming home to a lunatic! When he got home he suggested I use my daughters computer to check Best Buy, HH Gregg and Staples to see what kind of sales they have, knowing that I was NOT going to be able to function without a computer. While I was doing that, he got tweezers, played around with the Port, couldn't get it out and then decided to take the battery out for a while. About 20 minutes later he popped the battery back in and she fired right back up just like nothing had happened! HOLY HAIL that was close!! I immediately grabbed my external hard drive (yes, I have one and there was NO reason for me to not have my files backed up) and did a COMPLETE backup that took over 2 hours! So please....learn from my foolishness....back up your files NOW...or at the very least sometime this weekend! (PS - John covered the broken USB with electrical tape so I can't "accidentally" fry it again!)

Now on to the layout!! Since I was not able to print any photos while my laptop was backing up, I grabbed one of the old photo albums and decided to do a few layouts of older photos. I came across these two pictures of my now 20 year old son, Johnny, jumping and sitting on my bed! The date on the back is July 1991!! I knew immediately what paper to use....the Creative Imaginations Studio Basics 101 Monkey paper....now where is it!??  After about 1/2 hour of sorting, digging and getting aggravated again I found it! I had no plans for this paper when I got it....I just liked the monkeys! While I was looking for that I found an entire package of Basic Grey Lime Rickey that I had never even opened! I used the letters that were in there for the title. The orange chipboard letters are WeRMemory Keepers and the arrow is American Crafts. The flower is Doodlebug with some Fancy Pants Rough & Tough pins and green ric rac. I used the Friday sketch (and the flowers work for the weekly challenge too) at Practical Scrappers and when I was mid-way through it dawned on me that this layout contained all of the colors requird for the weekly challenge at Frosted Design! SCORE!! Thanks for looking and remember...BACK UP NOW, BACK UP OFTEN!  Oh and another PS - everything really is straight on this layout but being nighttime, I had to take the photo with the layout on my desk, me standing on a chair with wheels and balancing one leg on my desk!  Can you see where this could go?  I never learn!  LOL!!  So that's why the picture is a bit crooked!
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Barb Craft

Look at you rockin those challenges!!! You have been one busy girl today!!! Another super cute LO!! I LOVE the monkeys!!!
Barb :)

Lisa in Texas

Love your layout! That title is awesome and so fitting! So glad you got your computer back up and running and the thought of you taking that picture really had me rolling on the floor, great visual! Thanks for joining us this week at Practical Scrappers!

Carolina

I know what that kind of scare feels like, it has happened so often to me!!! Still, I sometimes forget to back up :(.

What a great page, my daughter loves that song! It's based on Practical Scrapper's June 11th sketch, right? (I'm working on a page using that sketch while I'm writing this, that's why I noticed!).

Karen

Your layout is so cute!! Thank you for playing along at Practical Scrappers!
~Karen

Unknown

Adorable lo! Thanks for playing with us at PS! /Pia

Unknown

You did score on both the Practical Scrappers and Frosted Desings challenges with this one! AND, I LOVE your little monkeys dancing about the page, perfect for this layout and these photos!
Thanks for joining us at Practical Scrappers and Frosted Designs.
Blessings,
Kim xXx

Pat

This is so cute!!! Love the little monkeys & glad your laptop came back to life.

Sasya

stunning work!!! :)
thank you for joining us at Practical Scrappers!!

hugs
Sasya

bakscrap

Susan, since I am not very computer savvy at all, maybe you can help me to know how to back things up. I don't have an external hard drive. I upload my pics to snapfish as well as my own pc regularly. I burn a disc of my pics every month or two, but that is it! Do I need to get an external hard drive? What do I look for? BTW, Collette Bate tells me that I "repel" technology! Ha!

all the days of our life

GORGEOUS!!!! Love that title the photos are adorable, great design. Beautiful. Thanks for playing with us a FD.

Erika Hayes

WOW this is a fabulous layout.. you did a great job with the challenge from Frosted Designs.. I really love your blog too! TFP!

Erin Morehouse

love the monkeys, and your title! My desktop computer died a couple of weeks ago, and never did come back from the dead. Needless to say I lost thousands of photos. We love these machines, but they can certainly cause a lot of problems!

Post a Comment